Can Anyone Recommend A Resume Writing Service?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

johnnyappleseed
Insurance Journal Fan

Can Anyone Recommend A Resume Writing Service?

Post by johnnyappleseed »

I am looking to update my resume and have a "pro" check it and/or re-write it for me.

Can anyone recommend a resume writing service, particularly one that has insurance industry related expertise.

I've been looking around but haven't been able to come up with one yet.

Thank you.
Shagster12
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Can Anyone Recommend A Resume Writing Service?

Post by Shagster12 »

I would recommend you go to GURU.Com and post this as a job. There you will get professional freelancers who will bid for your job. You can check them out prior to awarding your bid so you can be pretty sure you're hiring someone qualified.
Good Luck.
Dream the unthinkable, then make it happen!
Shagster
johnnyappleseed
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by johnnyappleseed »

Excellent. Thank you!
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Why could a pro build a better resume than you can? Resumes are not works of art. They are not job-getting-magic. They are a one page summary of your career, experience, and achievements.

Nobody looks at a resume and says, "Wow, let's hire this guy." In more cases, resumes are used to screen applicants out.

In 20 years and 5 different employers I never used a resume to get a job. I never brought one to an interview. I never prepared one until after I was hired and some HR functionary said they needed a resume for a file.

Unless you are going after some menial job, ditch the resume and use relationships and smarts to get your dream job.

I assume you are looking for a sales, underwriting, claims, CSR, or other mid-level to high level insurance work.

A resume will not get you your dream job. If you send 200 resumes to 200 companies you may get a job. It won't be your dream job though.

Dream jobs come from personal contacts, networks, and relationships.

First, define your dream job. Where is the company? What value do you provide and what do you do for the company?

Second, who has those jobs? What companies offer those jobs? Identify the specific employers.

Third, who do you work for in your dream job? What is the title of your boss? Get that guy's name. If its a small agency you want to work for as a producer - what is the name of the agency president? If its an underwriting job - what is the name of the commercial lines manager?

Fourth, who do you know that can provide you with an introduction to that guy?

Fifth, get the introduction and get in front of that guy. "Mr Smith, I want to talk with you about jobs selling insurance. I'm not sure if you are hiring or not. That really doesn't matter. I'm looking for advice on how best to get a job working for an agency selling insurance."

If you already sell insurance (or are an underwriter) the conversation goes like this, "Mr Smith, Ive been selling insurance for three years. I'm not sure my current agency is the right place for me. I have sold $50,000 in commissions in the past year but I think I can do better. Can we talk? I'm not sure if you have anything available. It really doesn't matter. I'm looking for advice from you on how I can move my career ahead."

There is no agency owner or underwriting manager who would not take the above call. Every business owner and manager needs good people. There is always room at the top.

I know this is long. However, if you are good or you want to be the best, there are more effective ways to get a job than getting a fancy resume printed up.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant