Networked Insurance Agents compared to others..

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Networked Insurance Agents compared to others..

Post by meytai »

I "researched" NIA and compared other GAs before i decided to go with them. I saw that they had actual reps for territories.. they had multiple underwriters for different risks (different types of risks weren't thrown at a single underwriter".. and also they have a neat online rating software.. however.. the risks that i can quote online are limited.. and when i do need the help of an underwriter (by the way, most of my risks are small) she takes forever to get back to me..

And i pay a $225 monthly fee.. so i tried them out.. so my question is, can i get more for my $225 a month with other GAs?

Meytai

Note: I hope this is the appropriate place to put this.. i have very little experience with GAs.. but 2 weeks for a quote that needs to be bound ASAP is unacceptable
simiinsuranceguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Networked Insurance Agents compared to others..

Post by simiinsuranceguy »

Have been with NIA for 10 years. As they get larger, the "personal touch" that was so nice has gone by the wayside. I send quote requests to them and other GA's and always get quotes back from others and the NIA quote usually after the eff. date.
And as far as service, don't get me started. My CSR spends more time with NIA following up on requested Decs, endorsements, etc. that with any other Company/GA we deal with.
I have been trying to move all of my NIA book to others. I have moved about 70%, but am still looking for a competitive home for the others and until I do, I am stuck with NIA.
Good luck,
Mike
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by meytai »

Thanks Mike

Any alternatives to them though?
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

Most of your MGA/MGU's can write all of this business for you, and we don't charge you a monthly fee. However, I would think the lure of NIA or other associations is that they can get you Preferred Market access. I don't have any great insight to NIA, but maybe a good place to start is try and drill down with your underwriters why your risks are taking so long. If the apps are incomplete, or missing loss runs or important supplementals, this could be why, and as you become more adept at completing the applications, you'll see this diminish. It could also be that the business you send them is outside their appetite, or at least their comfort zone, which will delay your responses. These aren't good excuses, though, for why your underwriter doesn't pick up the phone and call you and try to help you. When I have newer agents who are less familiar with the insurance standards and practices, I do try and take extra time to help educate them. It only makes all of us better in the end.

If you'd like to talk more specifically, please send me a PM. I enjoy your posts, and applaud your enthusiasm for our business. :-)
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
simiinsuranceguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Not sure what state you are in, but in CA I can think of Superior Access, Insurance Noodle, ATM for BOPs etc. Ladybroker made a good point that many do not charge a monthly access fee, rather a "Broker Fee" on every quote.
foxyagent
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by foxyagent »

I have had great luck with Agent Secure they are $25.00 a month. Superior Access now charges $100.00 a month now so I would avoid them. Good Luck!
steve32
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by steve32 »

I've tried both Agent Secure and Superior Access. I liked Agent Secure's technology.. but Superior Access had much better customer service before and after the sale. Also their bind times were much quicker and their employees are a lot more friendly.
Sports_Agent
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Sports_Agent »

We have a small agency with offices in 2 cities and write coverages in TN, VA, AL, and SC. We have over 100 direct appointments so we rarely need to use a broker. Assuming you need some preferred companies , I suggest you look into joining the Big "I" (Independent Insurors.) They have an annual fee of about $250 (depends on the size of your agency) and one of their benefits is the abilty to use their "Eagle Agency." You can rate and submit onlone, have no production requirements, the dec pages have your agency name on them, etc. Once you have enough volume with a company (say Travelers) you can roll that book of business and get a direct appointment. There are other advantages to being a Big "I" Agent.

I was previously with a "Direct Writer" for 19 years and have owned my own agency now for 15 years now. Work hard, go above and beyond your competition, and never give up. Good Luck!
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wlunday »

Meytai, many of us have been in the same boat as you... trying to expand our offerings beyone what our primary markets have an appitite for.

I hooked up with Agent Secure five or six years ago, and they have been a big help. I feel their customer service is excellent. I have direct appointments with several of the carriers they use, but even with those I've often been able to get a quote from Agent Secure... even when "my underwriter" at the carrier didn't show any interest! Underwriters are people, and as such have different opinions of the risks we submit. A good GA can help.

As far as fees go, I've also noticed that Agent Secure does take a cut of the street level commission. When I write a case, say a BOP, with Agent Secure the commission to me is less than when I submit it directly. This boils down to an additional "hidden" fee. But, often it is worth it, if I can't get the case through on my own. We all need to earn a living.

If NIA isn't taking a cut of the commission, you may have a decent fee arrangement with them. However, that doesn't address the poor turn-around time. Good luck!

Swymmer
simiinsuranceguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Oh, yeah! NIA takes a cut of the commissions, and it is not small. That, on top of their $225 monthly fee, it is not the best deal around. Try Agent Secure.
ewguva
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by ewguva »

for $40 per month you can access REALTIME Commercial and Personal quotes from AgentSecure. Quotes come back in 30 seconds to 10 minutes from 11 carriers.

You own the biz and have right to get your own carrier contract from premium you develope with AgentSecure...no exit fee or penalty.

Try it for free, see details at http://www.agentsecure.com