Doris Vs AMS360

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

JJMaclean2000
Insurance Journal Fan

Doris Vs AMS360

Post by JJMaclean2000 »

Can anyone give me feedback on Doris? I have enough to read about AMS360 in the other posts. I have to compare the two and wondered has anyone formed a strong opinion about Doris?
jpmorgan5150
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Doris Vs AMS360

Post by jpmorgan5150 »

We just left DORIS for Nexsure.

Doris is an outdated system. It is very easy to use (except for the accounting) and easy to learn. That said, the ease of use comes with a ton of limitations. We didn't use it for accounting (we didn't like it at all, used quickbooks). You can't track lines of business - just policies.

Say you have a package policy with Auto, Boiler & Machinery, Crime, Property & GL coverage. Nexsure has all of those separate, with the ACORD app for that line storing the policy information. It tracks the premium per line and the commission per line. If B&M has a lower commission, say 10%, you can easily enter that.

On DORIS, you have one policy that shows one line of business, package. You don't see premium per line, you don't see a lower commission for a specific line, you don't have the options that you have on Nexsure. The coverage summary options just don't exist in DORIS.

If you are a small personal lines agency then DORIS is great; if you have significant commercial, there is no comparison between AMS360 and DORIS.

Hope that helps.

Hope this helps.
Rus
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Rus »

JJ, why wouldn't you compare DORIS (Bonus points for knowing it stands for Dependable Organized Reliable Insurance System) to AMS Prime or Instar? 360 is more like TAM in cost and scope.

Talk to some Instar customers and I think you will hear good things. DORIS is fine and you will have an upgrade to TAM or EPIC.

Good luck - what do you have now?
RP Wheeler
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by RP Wheeler »

Hello,
Ours is another agency that used to be with AMS (Prime), but is now with DORIS. I agree with another poster that the AMS360 is the ams version of Applied System's TAM. Nice, and it's pricey.
Comparing the two is a bit like comparing a Ford Ranger with a Ford F250 Pick-up truck. Neither one deserves to be insulted....both are very good at what they do. The better question is: What exactly do you need? Do you need all the bells and whistles? If so, I'd recommend you bite the bullet and get the bigger system. From our perspective, we liked the "LESS IS MORE" approach.
One suggestion I would make is to visit an agency that has the AMS360 and then visit an agency that has DORIS. Compare.
Good luck.