Best Sub-Standard Carriers

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

flyeres
Insurance Journal Fan

Best Sub-Standard Carriers

Post by flyeres »

What are the best personal lines auto sub-standard carriers out there?

I am running into the issue of quoting prospects that have large families with teen/college drivers. 2 or 3 of the drivers may only have 1 or 2 infractions each, but the underwriters w/ my standard carriers add the total claims/violations up and normally deny coverage if there are more than 5 total, regardless of the amount of premium.

Would a solution possibly be to "individually" quote each driver on a separate policy, or is that not recommended/ethical?
Brenda H
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Best Sub-Standard Carriers

Post by Brenda H »

We use Progressive as our exclusive surplus auto carrier.

Depending on the carrier that you use, they may not allow you to have more than one auto policy per household due to "stacking limits".
inscopywriter
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by inscopywriter »

Would a solution possibly be to "individually" quote each driver on a separate policy, or is that not recommended/ethical?
Well, besides not being recommended or ethical... it's also a bad idea. First, the insured usually has to certify that they're listing all household drivers with regular and frequent access to the car. Read the policy language. Are you going to advise them to lie on the application? Second, what do you think will happen when they pull the CLUE for the drivers you admitted to and find the ones you didn't disclose? That's not going to be good. And what happens if one of the drivers gets in an accident driving a car on one of the other people's policies? Have fun handling that claim.

I just don't see how it'll work out. Unless you're talking about multiple policies with the same carrier. Most of them don't let you do that, because if a driver has access to the car, they should be rated on the policy. If you get Policy A for Driver/Car A and Policy B for Driver/Car B, but then Driver B drives Car A and gets into an accident... Policy A is still going to have to pay, which is made worse by the fact that it was underwritten and rated for Driver A, not Driver B. Not good.

Which Progressive product are you using? I've heard good things about non-standard with Progressive's Drive, Permanent General, and Infinity.
bobson
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by bobson »

Progressive, Allstate Indemnity, Unitrin Specialty
mhutch69
Insurance Journal Addict

NON-Standard not SUB Standard

Post by mhutch69 »

Unless you have been out of the industry for 25 years, the current description of this division of the auto insurance industry is referred to as NON standard.

I have not HEARD SUB Standard in many years.

Good luck with that.
mhutch69
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Best Sub-Standard Carriers- ANCHOR GENERAL

Post by mhutch69 »

You may be lucky enough to write with Anchor General in CA.

They write non-standard auto using numerous products in CA.

Get that company and you will do fine.

good luck.