Mercury Insurance Without A Direct Appt?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

heavenly
Insurance Journal Fan

Mercury Insurance Without A Direct Appt?

Post by heavenly »

We are not large enough to obtain an appointment with Mercury Insurance. They have the lowest rates for auto insurance in many areas of California. Does anyone know of a GA that offers access to Mercury?
michga11
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Mercury Insurance Without A Direct Appt?

Post by michga11 »

when i was young and first driving, mercury used to rip me off!! i've never gotten a policy with them since because i hold a grudge.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

Mercury has always been quirky, and not allowing agency representation through a GA is one of those quirks.

Now to another aspect of your question...not being 'big' enough.

In this current dead market, virtually every personal lines carrier in California is very hungry for business and market share. That includes Mercury. I find it hard to believe that if you're too new to be 'big', that Mercury would have brushed you aside IF you'd approached them with a specific marketing plan and facts and figures about your agency's history and goals, and market figures and promotion plans and loss ratios with current carriers...etc, etc. that they would not be receptive to representation. If you're agency has some history behind it, AND, you're still very small potatoes without any proactive marketing and client acquisition plans, then I could see where the Mercury marketing rep might have been hesitant to puruse an appointment.

Also, Mercury, although competitive in much of California, isn't always the lowest priced carrier in every market. Set up your comparative rater and see just who is close or better in rates than Mercury and look into direct appointments or GA channels with those carriers. Mercury is a great company to represent, but so are other carriers as well. And if the only thing you're offering potential clients and prospects is the 'lowest' rate, then you're at risk to a lot of client turnover when and if rates turn against you. You should be offering competitive products, but it's your added value propositions, whatever they may be, that will keep you in business over the long term.
KPIA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by KPIA »

What "d's" says is right on the money.

Mercury currently is very hungry for growth. Not too long ago, Merc instituted a program among their agents to get their agents to refer other agents to them, then they pay the referring agent a commission or something like that. I don't recall the details exactly, but I would suggest either calling Merc directly again, or going through a Merc agent you know who will vouch for you.

Good luck.
Kevin M. Kennedy
KPIA - Kennedy Professional Insurance Agency
www.kpia.com
JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JAM »

I also used to think that Mercury had the best rates but that not true. Even a Farmers agent friend of mine says he beats them often (with all discounts etc,,) Ive been coming lower with Travelers and safeco on a consistent basis. Also, their claims service is sub par and policies have to many restrictions etc... just my $0.02.
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com