Advice Needed - CA comp market

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

ocbroker
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Advice Needed - CA comp market

Post by ocbroker »

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice about good workers comp markets in Southern California for a fairly new agent/agency.

For a quick background, I have been working for a friend of mine at his agency over the last three years while I get licensed, learn the business, etc. I'm planning to open my own shop within the next few months and I plan to make workers comp the focal point of my new business marketing efforts. Ideally, I'd like to fine one or two GOOD carriers that I can partner with and go after their target classes/niches.

How difficult will it be for me to get new appointments without an existing book of business? I don't mind utilizing wholesale brokers for access here and there, but I'd like to have some direct appointments as my starting point. Are there any recommendations as to good carriers that would be willing to take a shot on a motivated young agent? At my current agency, we worked mostly with 1st Comp, but I don't get the sense that they are very competitive right now. I'd like to approach Employers, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get an appointment.

Thoughts?
jack1978
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Advice Needed - CA comp market

Post by jack1978 »

Its pretty hard in the beginning. Try MJHALL, they are pretty good and they will take you.
Safalex
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Advice Needed - CA comp market

Post by Safalex »

jack1978 wrote:Try MJHALL, they are pretty good and they will take you.
agreed. that should work for you