Will old CPCU books work for the new CPCU exams?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

NCPCLHagent
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Will old CPCU books work for the new CPCU exams?

Post by NCPCLHagent »

I was looking online and found several older books (2000, 2006, 2009, etc.) for the CPCU exams whereas the CPCU website now has books that are first editions made in either 2012 or 2011. These books are far more expensive than the older counterparts.

Would I be at any disadvantage using the older books to study? I haven't taken any of the CPCU exams yet- should I get some older ones for things like the accounting and ethics? I could see the older versions of the liablity and property getting me in trouble with newer ISO forms but I don't see how some of the other books have changed that much.

Also, the National Alliance sells a book called insurance essentials for P&C or something like that which is about 500 pages. Does anyone have it and think it is worth purchasing as a reference?

Any thoughts?

In addition, is anyone willing to sell their older books for the CPCU?
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Will old CPCU books work for the new CPCU exams?

Post by paulbennings »

I bought all the CPCU books at once last year, only to have change to the tests made right afterwards. I was needlessly worried until I realized that the changes did not impact my ability to study.

This is a common "tactic" (if you will) by textbook makers to make money despite the flood of used materials on the market. Same deal w/ college texts. I had no issues at all.
NCPCLHagent

Post by NCPCLHagent »

Awesome!

What years were your books written then? Were they in like 2008 or something like that? Do you still have the titles?

Did you find any of the information was incorrect like for ISO forms or anything like that? (haven't taken a test before.)

I know from college old books usually work but I know just this year ISO forms changed and sometimes material changes from test to test.
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by paulbennings »

Honestly, for the purposes of passing the tests, I doubt a few changes to policy forms would affect you at all. They generally didn't ask such detailed questions on any of the tests regarding forms, endorsements, etc... And also, insurance is just one facet of it. The other books apply to Finance, Risk Management and other parts of the industry. Most of the stuff hasn't changed much over the last years as far as the scope of the books are concerned. I don't know the years, but they are all texts that are one edition older than the current edition.
2013cpcu
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by 2013cpcu »

I took all the CPCU exams (elective ARM 56) with the exception of CPCU 556 last year so my material is all from 2011. I am selling all of my material, textbooks, course guide and study guides. Please let me know if you are still looking for books.
Thanks
NCPCLHagent

Post by NCPCLHagent »

I am interested. I sent you a PM but you can also post an e-mail here for me to contact you with.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

If you were in college, would you use older edition textbooks to study with? Probably not. The books from 2009 might....emphasis MIGHT still be relevant, but the ones from 2000 and 2006 aren't. The AICPCU regularly updates their material. If you want to take the chance - go ahead. Me - I'd use the most current materials.
NCPCLHagent

Post by NCPCLHagent »

Actually, in my biology degree, most of the teachers allowed older edition books since the material was very similar. The only ones that didn't were the ones that made you do specific questions out of the book like pg. 309 #1-6. Nearly 60% of the classes didn't care though and I saved a good bit of money.

It's actually the precedent on why I'm asking if I can use older books now.
mmondesir
Insurance Journal Fan

Looking for the Institutes Underwriting books

Post by mmondesir »

Hi everyone. I'm planning on taking the Associate in Underwriting certification and I'm looking for AU60, AU61, AU62 and AINS 23 books. Anyone selling? Thx!