is a physical exam necessary before taking life insurance?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Qqueen
Insurance Journal Fan

is a physical exam necessary before taking life insurance?

Post by Qqueen »

Hi, I would like to find out some information on life insurance. When I visit an insurance provider, will they have to perform a physical exam before they give me the life insurance policy? Does this vary from one insurer to another? I know that the lack of a physical exam can either lower the rates or increase them. Which one should you suggest I go for? An insurance provider who doesn’t insist on a physical exam or one who does.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: is a physical exam necessary before taking life insuranc

Post by Big Dog »

There are a lot of variables as to whether a physical exam will be required. The amount of insurance, your age, answers to the required health questions, etc.
lonestar
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by lonestar »

Without a paramed exam, most companies will only offer a small amount of coverage, and the rate, or cost per $1,000 of coverage, will be much much higher than a preferred rate.

The best rates / higher face amounts are only offered to those that submit to a paramed exam. Think of it as a free physical.
goldenarms123
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by goldenarms123 »

A friend of mine was applying for a life insurance policy and had an exam done and the doctors ended up finding bladder cancer. Made it difficult to get a policy but was good they found it when they did.
Family Select Insurance

6409 Dutchmans Pkwy
Louisville KY 40205
502-454-7283