Insurance Accounting treads....

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

mcasconi
Insurance Journal Fan

Insurance Accounting treads....

Post by mcasconi »

Entering in 1973 as a policy typist, I have observed numerous treads within the Insurance industry as it applies to accounting & financial management efforts. Historically an accounting position was one of the lowest paid positions in the insurance industry. It was on the same level as a receptionist, typist, and file room with a clerical classification.

Several years ago, published statistics reported that one in three agencies in California operate out of trust---
With all the regulations, codes and requirements that currently apply to the Insurance industry and the consequences, penalties and legal problems as they relate to accounting practices (premiums, return premiums, trust accounts), I am interest in learning opinions & observations on the subject of accounting, i.e., who performs the duties, qualifications, outsourcing, etc.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Insurance Accounting treads....

Post by yoyowordup »

Many "bookkeeping" tasks are done by good csr's including invoicing and reconciliation. In the Phoenix area there are many bookkeeping independent contractors that charge $30-$40 per hour and they can come in to your office or work remotely.

If you're talking about accountants (CPA), that's a whole different ballgame. $150-$200/hr.