Exactly how do I go paperless?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Exactly how do I go paperless?

Post by 92builder »

I'm starting an agency in January, and in the planning stages, we've come up to the paper/paperless decision. What, exactly, do I have to have for equipment and storage to become paperless? Do I have to scan every little scrap of paper? Is this going to take another staff person just to do the scanning?
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wlunday »

OK, I'll bite...

To me "paperless" is a mis-nomer. But my agency was started in 1964.

Technology has advanced so much that it might be possible to go totally paperless, scanning everything, but you'll still need to write out notes and file them somehow. Scan them or tuck them into a paper file, or like us... both. I still have files and quotes stored on old floppies from an Apple IIe I used 30 years ago!

You need to store some paperwork somewhere. How many carriers allow you to submit applications on-line now, with the caveat that you MUST produce the original application, with signatures, upon audit.

So, if all this stuff is scanned into a database for ease of everyday use... great. But, don't forget to keep the originals somewhere!

Good Luck this January!

Swymmer
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

Thanks for the reply. Now that I've actually put the question on paper, it now seems very silly. I bet it would take more work to be paperless than not.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

wlunday wrote: You need to store some paperwork somewhere. How many carriers allow you to submit applications on-line now, with the caveat that you MUST produce the original application, with signatures, upon audit.

So, if all this stuff is scanned into a database for ease of everyday use... great. But, don't forget to keep the originals somewhere!
Wouldn't the carriers accept the scan of the signed application????
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

paperless or not

Post by LadyBroker »

Most carriers will accept a scanned copy as though it were an original, but not all. My shop is talking about going paperless next year, and I am not in favor of it at all....but this could be partly because we have so many networking and computer issues now, I could only imagine how much worse it could get.

I do scan in all my applications, and save them forever. I don't scan in my notes, the day to day correspondance, that sort of thing. We do have a paper file for every risk.

Interesting question, though, I can see the benefit and the downside to both paths.

Good luck!
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

I started this agency a couple of years ago and I am totally paperless. I don't have any paper files. All you need is a computer, printer, scanner, and online agency management system. Then you can view your files from any computer from anywhere.
Always Be Closing!
rachelg
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by rachelg »

It would be almost impossible to go completely paperless. I like the idea for the environment, privacy of customers and more. However, it wouldn't be cost efficient to go completely paperless. Plus I can think of many times in which I have lost a file or wanted originals of something. You can still emilinate a lot of paperwork and accomplish many task. However, you will be putting yourself at a disatvantage if you choose to go completely paperless.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

I would like to post a question to you all, since many of you seem to be against paperless...

Who do you have do the filing in your offices, and what employment screening do you use? Since ID theft has become so popular, a job in an insurance office would be a perfect job for an ID thief. How do you prevent that?
insguy111

Post by insguy111 »

Check out the August issue of Rough Notes magazine (http://www.roughnotes.com) - they have a good article on technology issues. You should also check out the Big I's website (http://www.iiaba.org) for additional resources.

We have a staff of 13 and have t-filed our personal lines since 1997 and just started t-filing our small commercial (10,000 in premium or less). We have been now scanning these t-files in so that everything is available electronically rather than getting up to retrieve a paper file. (and trimming down the number of filing cabinets) It has worked well for us but there are many ways to get it done. You're never "paperless" but the more you store electronically the better in my book.

The other thing I would highly recommend is dual monitors at every workstation - very helpful!

Good luck!
Island Girl Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Paperless

Post by Island Girl Agent »

Wow, I'm amazed at anyone who hasn't jumped on the paperless bandwagon. We've been paperless for 4 years and it is absolutely wonderful...and I've been in the business since 1978, so yes, you can teach an old dog.

Just imagine having a client call you and ask a simple question like "what is my work comp rate?", and within seconds and a click or two of the computer, you can pull up the scanned policy and even click and Email or fax the hazard page to your customer. Now that's customer service.

When we had paper files, the method was to FIND the file, then dig for the paper, it took at least 5 minutes or more, and many times the file was out, so we'd have to tell the client, sorry, have to call you later.

We scan every piece of mail that comes in our office, then it's shredded. We have no file banks anywhere and my staff of 28 people love it, even the die hard paper pushers finally agreed it saves time, money and lowers stress levels. We, of course, have a great back up system for our computers with off-site storage.

Even if you are a small agency, going paperless makes sense. Check out some of the document management systems out there, you'll be glad you did.

Aloha...
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

insguy111 wrote: The other thing I would highly recommend is dual monitors at every workstation - very helpful!
I've been trying to get that one at the agency, but the boss doesn't want to fork over the money. I can't say I blame him. I don't use a dual-monitor at home, just one that's big enough and with resolution high enough that it is essentially two monitors side by side. Its terrific and I can get so much done this way that I would never go back. (I got this to finish my degree - I can write a paper while having the research on the other side of the screen but still "pulled up".)
insguy111

Post by insguy111 »

With the cost of monitors dropping it's pretty inexpensive to get a workstation set-up - and the productivity savings is great. Try to get your boss to have one CSRs workstation done that way and he/she might finally see the light!
jctwindad
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jctwindad »

I will say a hearty "amen" to everything that Island Girl posted in her response. I have a 4 location 24 person agency and we have been paperless for 2 years now. The additional productivity we have gained has been remarkable. As far as the postings about needed paper for "notes" etc., you should have an agency management system, and you can do any needed notes on that system. You will never be completely paperless, but this can eliminate at least 90% of the paper.

Taking this one step further, I recommend going with an online agency management system. We use AMS Online. That way all of your documents are stored on the Online system, not on an inhouse server. It also eliminates your concern of "what happens if I lose my server and the data on it". It is tremendous disaster planning as well, as in the event of a disaster rendering your office unusable, you can access any needed info from any other site in just seconds.

Finally, I will also endorse dual monitors. The $300 or so cost for a second monitor, and softwared needed to run dual, is made up in a matter of weeks with improved efficiency.

Those who want to continue to operate "old school" can certainly do so, but will soon be left behind in a cloud of dust. If you are going to be in this business, you had better jump on the automation bandwagon, and be prepared to spend some money.
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Paper Lite!

Post by pita3333 »

Only have a very few moments....but have to chime in on this one. Paperless, paperg gone paper lite...call it what ever you want...but this is the trend.

We are paperless/lite but not gone ... yet.... another year and we will be. You have to have two monitors...any owner/manager not willing to invest in this is not keeping their eyes open.

You have to have a good system...and I also use AMS360 which is an online system.

You have to be DEDICATED to doing things right. Attach everything that you would have placed in a paper file...and label it correctly. In fact try to eliminate as much back end scanning (scanning paper you receive) and replace with front end...which means you never receive it in paper format! Believe it or not...many carriers actually can do this if you ask them to (or tell them to). Don't forget to convert your fax machine to a software program that sends faxes via email (both in and out) many include automatic routing based on OCR scanning.

Always confirm with your carriers beforehand about "wet" signatures. I have found that most will accept digital signatures (scan/fax). In fact we have told our clients, just fax it to us and keep the original as your copy.

Thats all for now.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

We just went paperless within the past 6 months. So far it is wonderful. I researched all the options for almost 2 years.

Every employee now has 2 monitors on their desk. Our age range is 28-75 and everyone is using the system. Each CSR and myself also have a desktop scanner.

A good place to start is through your Agency Mangagement vendor. They usually have lots of info.

We ended up using a system called EasyFile. So far so good and very customizable.

Good Luck!!