Connecticut to Receive Additional $32M in Storm Aid

July 3, 2014

Connecticut is receiving nearly $32 million in additional federal aid to fix multi-family housing, infrastructure and public facilities affected by Superstorm Sandy in 2012.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said the some of the money will also be used by municipalities to plan for future storms. For instance, $100,000 will help fund a coastal resiliency study in Stratford.

This latest allotment comes from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s disaster recovery block grant program. Last year, the state received nearly $72 million. At the time, Bridgeport Mayor William Finch said the governor’s plan for allocating the money didn’t dedicate enough to repair multi-family housing and seawalls.

But Finch called Tuesday’s announcement “great news” and will help a large number of vulnerable Bridgeport residents living within the flood plain.

 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features