Alfred W. Gross, who served as insurance commissioner for the state of Virginia for 14 years until he retired last year, has passed away, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Gross retired last December at age 64 from his post as Virginia insurance commissioner, a post he had held since 1996. He first started with the Bureau of Insurance at the Virginia State Corporation Commission in 1981.
In October of last year, the NAIC bestowed its President’s Award for Distinguished NAIC Member Leadership upon Gross. The award honors an NAIC member who has shown exemplary leadership; served a sustained length of service; and has significantly contributed to advancing the mission of the NAIC.
“We are saddened to learn of the passing of our dear friend and former colleague, Al Gross. In his 14 years as commissioner of the Virginia Bureau of Insurance before retiring last fall, Al was an invaluable asset to the NAIC and a mentor to many fellow regulators,” NAIC President Susan E. Voss said in a statement.
“He was a leader in financial regulation and highly regarded internationally for his contributions. State-based regulation is better because of him. While he was lauded for his tremendous regulatory expertise, Al was equally appreciated for his service and friendship. On behalf of the NAIC, we extend our deepest sympathies to his family.”
In making the award, the NAIC cited some of Gross’s accomplishments including:
- 1996–2010 Insurance Commissioner for the Commonwealth of Virginia
- 1998, 1999, 2000–2003 Member of NAIC Executive Committee
- 1998–2010 Chair and Vice Chair of Financial Condition Committee
- 1998–2010 Chair or member of Financial Regulation Standards and Accreditation Committee
- 2002–2010 Chair, Vice Chair or member of International Insurance Relations Committee
- 1998–2010 Member of International Insurance Relations Leadership Group
- 2009–2010 Chair and Vice Chair of Solvency Modernization Initiative Task Force
- 2004–2010 Supported state legislation and served as member of the Interstate Insurance Product Regulation Compact Commission
- 2007–2010 Chair of the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS) Technical Committee and a member of its Solvency Subcommittee