The Alabama Department of Insurance will remain closed until at least Monday due to a power outage caused by a small fire in Montgomery’s RSA Tower on Thursday morning.
The 23-story tower, owned and operated by the Retirement Systems of Alabama, also houses the local headquarters for Regions Bank, the state Department of Public Health, and other private offices. The fire originated in an electrical closet on an upper floor used by Regions Bank. The sprinkler system quickly extinguished the fire, but the water rushed down through gaps in the closet until it reached the first floor, knocking out power for all but a handful of floors. No one was injured.
Restoration crews are attempting to have the building on generator power by Monday. Commissioner Jim Ridling said a decision would be made late Sunday on whether the office would be open on Monday.