Washington Lawsuit Settled In 2010 Tesoro Refinery Blast

January 31, 2014

The attorney representing families of six workers killed in a 2010 explosion at Tesoro’s Anacortes oil refinery have settled a lawsuit against Tesoro and Shell Oil Co.

Attorney David Beninger told KING-TV the wrongful death suit was settled last month for around $39 million and the money was divided among the families.

The lawsuit claimed Tesoro and Shell, which previously owned the facility, ignored dangerous conditions that led to the blast. Seven workers were killed. A contractor who was burned but survived also joined the suit.

oil refineryBeninger says a separate suit against Lloyd’s Register Energy, hired to examine equipment, is still scheduled for trial later this year.

The Chemical Safety Board is holding a public listening session in Anacortes Thursday to present the results of its investigation and offer safety recommendations.

Subscribe Insurance news headlines delivered to your email.
Get a free subscription to our popular email newsletter.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features