Hoverboard Bursts into Flames in California Home

January 27, 2016

A hoverboard burst into flames in a Petaluma, Calif. home, marking the second such fire in Sonoma County in a week.

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reported that the hoverboard was plugged into an electrical outlet Monday to charge when the fire started.

Petaluma Fire Battalion Chief Mike Medeiros says the homeowner heard an explosion and found his daughter’s hoverboard plugged in and continuing to burn and explode. The homeowner used a fire extinguisher and unplugged the board.

hoverboardMedeiros estimates the damage at roughly $10,000.

The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered devices have drawn criticism in recent months, as reports have come out across the country of them bursting into flames. Most recently, a Santa Rosa home was damaged and two dogs died in a hoverboard-sparked fire on Jan. 19.

Related:

Get Insurance Journal Every Day

Latest Comments

  • February 1, 2016 at 10:46 am
    OmniSure says:
    Since Chinese Manufacturers are devoid of Product Liability Insurance/Responsibility, the injured or property damaged parties should SUE the Importers and Retailers for sellin... read more
See all comments

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features