Dead New Mexico Woman’s Family Sues Bar over Lewd Corndog Contest

August 12, 2016

A New Mexico family is suing the owners of a shuttered Albuquerque night club, their former landlord and a liquor license-holder after a woman choked during a corndog eating contest and suffered fatal brain damage.

The mother, husband and daughter of 56-year-old Debra Harbeck argue in the wrongful death lawsuit that Fire and Ice staff served her multiple shots of gin the night she was rushed to the hospital in January, and allowed her to participate in the risky contest despite her level of intoxication.

The family says the contest called for female contestants to get on their knees in front of a male teammate who stood as he held the corndog in front of the woman to eat. Harbeck was out celebrating her daughter’s 22nd birthday.

CorndogHarbeck died several days later at a hospital.

Latest Comments

  • August 31, 2016 at 8:06 am
    Melissa says:
    I'm sorry, but with all due respect to the family. This is NOT the bar's fault. she was a willing participant.
  • August 17, 2016 at 6:57 pm
    Phoenix says:
    Shots of gin??? I think I've done shots of just about everything behind a bar at one time or another, except gin. Martinis? Sure. But gulping an ounce and a half of gin in one... read more
  • August 17, 2016 at 2:57 pm
    Angel says:
    Why didn't one of the Harbeck's present at the bar step in and rescue her? What were they doing?
See all comments

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features