Philly Man Gets $25K From City Over Gun Stops

March 12, 2012

A gun-rights advocate stopped by police for openly carrying a weapon will settle his lawsuit against the city of Philadelphia for $25,000.

Mark Fiorino’s lawyer says the suit wasn’t about money, but about retraining police on open-carry laws.

Fiorino, a 25-year-old IT worker from Lansdale, says he has been stopped three times for wearing a holstered gun on his hip. It’s legal in Pennsylvania if the person has a permit.

Fiorino recorded one profane police encounter and posted it online.

His lawsuit alleges “vindictive prosecution.”

Fiorino told The Associated Press last month that he carries a gun because “bad things happen to good people.”

Lawyer Benjamin Picker says Fiorino accepted the city’s offer last Thursday because the city has been retraining officers. A city spokesman did not immediately return a message.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.

Latest Comments

  • March 25, 2012 at 10:46 pm
    furlonium says:
    You're an idiot. You think he was in it for the money? $25k? Yeah, that's a _TON_ of money. Your username says it all. It doesn't matter if OC is "smart" or not - it's 100% le... read more
  • March 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm
    Bob says:
    I do have confidence in the police. I know that when seconds count, the police are just minutes away. I disagree thar "people who carry guns are nuts". In most States, people ... read more
  • March 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm
    Silent Man says:
    Please take your own advice. Just because you can speak does not mean you should. Please, stop expressing your ideas. Someone might get angry.

Add a CommentSee All Comments (12)Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features