New Hampshire Fire Marshal Warns of Lightning Hazard

July 31, 2012

New Hampshire’s fire marshal is warning homeowners to make certain that natural and propane gas lines coming into their homes are properly grounded.

Fire Marshal J. William Degnan, who is president of the National Association of State Fire Marshals, says that eight house fires in New Hampshire in the past four years were caused by nearby lightning strikes that compromised ungrounded lines.

Degnan is encouraging homeowners to have a licensed electrician or gas line installer check their lines if they suspect they may not be properly grounded.

He said the grounding device should be visible inside the home at the point where the gas line enters the home and connects with yellow corrugated stainless steel tubing.

The eight New Hampshire fires caused extensive structural damage but no fatalities.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.