The Massachusetts Division of Insurance announced that Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange (PURE) and Esurance automobile insurance are now available for Massachusetts consumers.
The Division of Insurance said that since Gov. Deval Patrick introduced managed competition in the auto insurance market in 2008, 15 new insurers have entered the market, allowing consumers to shop for lower rates among the 34 insurance company groups now operating in the state.
“We welcome giving consumers and businesses more choices in purchasing insurance,” said Barbara Anthony, undersecretary at the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation. “Consumers can shop safely and drive with security because of the growing pool of established insurers.”
The Division of Insurance said that under managed competition — which replaced the “fixed and established” system of insurance rate setting — companies can develop their own rating plans and offer an array of product benefits and discounts, including rewards for consumers who have incident-free driving records.
“The announcement of two new entrants to the Commonwealth’s automobile insurance market confirms that our drivers are enjoying even more choices and opportunities,” said Insurance Commissioner Joseph Murphy.
“We welcome PURE and Esurance, and encourage consumers to consider these and the many other established insurers as they shop for insurance that fits their family’s needs and their household budget,” Commissioner Murphy said. The Division of Insurance said PURE began writing automobile insurance in Massachusetts on May 4 and Esurance on July 19.
The following are the auto insurance companies currently writing private passenger automobile insurance in Massachusetts, as listed on the Division of Insurance website:
• Allstate Insurance Company/Esurance – New entrant since the managed competition began in 2008
• American Automobile Insurance Company (Fireman’s Fund)
• Amica Mutual Insurance Company
• Arbella Mutual Insurance Company
• Bankers Standard Insurance Company (ACE) – New entrant since 2008
• Chartis Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• Citizens Insurance Company of America (Hanover)
• Commerce Insurance Company (MapFre)
• Electric Insurance Company
• Encompass Insurance Company of Massachusetts
• Farm Family Casualty Insurance Company
• GEICO – New entrant since 2008
• Green Mountain Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• Harleysville Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company (Ameriprise) – New entrant since 2008
• Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
• Massachusetts Homeland Insurance Company (Tower)
• Metropolitan Property and Casualty Ins. Company
• National Grange Mutual Insurance Company
• NGM Insurance Company
• Norfolk & Dedham Mutual Fire Insurance Company
• Occidental Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• Peerless Insurance – New entrant since 2008
• Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation
• Praetorian Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• Preferred Mutual Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• Premier Insurance Company of Massachusetts
• Progressive Direct Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• PURE – New entrant since 2008
• Quincy Mutual Fire Insurance Company
• Safeco Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
• Safety Insurance Company
• State Farm Mutual Insurance Company
• Travelers of Massachusetts
• United Services Automobile Association (USAA)
• Vermont Mutual Insurance Company – New entrant since 2008
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.