New Jersey state officials have fined a utility company $300,000 for safety violations that led to a home explosion and fire last year.
The fine against South Jersey Gas was announced Tuesday by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. It culminates the board’s investigation into the blast that occurred at a Pennsville home in September of 2015.
Officials say the explosion and fire were caused by a buildup of gas in the basement after workers with a construction company punctured a natural gas line nearby. No injuries were reported in the incident.
South Jersey Gas did not admit to any wrongdoing.
But the utility agreed to make several changes over the next six months to prevent a similar incident from occurring.
Topics New Jersey
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.