Selective’s College Competition kicks off this week across eight colleges throughout the country and will run through February.
The annual contest provides the opportunity for teams of students to gain insurance career-building experience and networking opportunities with the guidance and mentorship of industry experts from Selective and independent insurance agencies.
Selective’s College Competition lets each team operate a simulated insurance agency and experience many of the associated responsibilities and obstacles. The competition requires the students to leverage their education and experiences to make informed business decisions about building market share, developing products and services, growing profit, promoting their firm and contending with competitors.
Insurance experts from Selective and independent insurance agencies will mentor the teams to help them learn how to improve their performance. The annual competition was expanded this year to include two new schools and six new independent insurance agents.
Teams of students from the following schools are participating in Selective’s College Competition:
- Appalachian State University
- Ball State University
- Illinois State University
- Indiana State University
- Middle Tennessee State University
- St. Joseph’s University
- Temple University
- University of North Carolina – Charlotte
The following independent insurance agents are guiding and mentoring teams of students in Selective’s College Championship:
- Brian Blaston, agency principal, Hardenbergh Insurance Group
- Jeff Haney, president, Jessica Medlin, vice president and Sam Thompson, retired agency principal, ECM Solutions
- Neil T. Annas, chief financial officer (CFO), and Cameron Annas, CEO, Granite Insurance
- Michael Stansbury, managing partner, Elite Insurance Solutions
- Scott Johnson, director of Purpose and Passion, The Healy Group
- George Daly, president, Personal Insurance, and Tricia Pucek, CFO, The Horton Group
- Tim Latimer, agency manager, The Barclay Group
Selective Insurance Group Inc. is a holding company for 10 property/casualty insurance companies. Through independent agents, the insurance companies offer standard and specialty insurance for commercial and personal risks and flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program’s Write Your Own Program.
Source: Selective Insurance Group Inc.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.