Fire officials are blaming a gas leak for an explosion that destroyed one Dubuque, Iowa home and damaged several others.
KCRG reports that Chief Rick Steines with the Dubuque Fire Department said a machine struck a gas main Monday while working in the area. He said firefighters evacuated the closest house while they waited for the gas company to arrive. He said the gas company was in the process of shutting down the gas when it ignited and caused the explosion.
One house was destroyed and others had windows blown out. A firefighter also was taken to a hospital for a cut.
The City of Dubuque urged owners of rental properties in a Facebook post to check in with tenants in the area.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.