Members of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) elected the following officers for 2018 during the organization’s Fall 2017 national meeting. The newly-elected officers who will assume their duties on Jan. 1, 2018 are:
- President: Tennessee Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak
- President-Elect: Maine Insurance Superintendent Eric A. Cioppa
- Vice President: South Carolina Insurance Director Raymond G. Farmer
- Secretary-Treasurer: Hawaii Insurance Commissioner Gordon I. Ito
McPeak was appointed by Gov. Bill Haslam to lead the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance in 2011. She will succeed Ted Nickel, Wisconsin insurance commissioner, as NAIC president.
Before being named to lead the Tennessee department, McPeak was counsel to the insurance practice group of a law firm and also served as the executive director and general counsel of the Kentucky Office of Insurance. She is the first woman to serve as chief insurance regulator in more than one state.
In November 2015, McPeak was elected secretary-treasurer of the NAIC. She has been an active NAIC participant for nearly 20 years and has served on the NAIC’s executive committee since 2013. McPeak is also an executive committee member of the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS) and a member of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance (FACI).
Cioppa was confirmed as superintendent of the Maine Bureau of Insurance in September 2011.
Farmer was appointed by Gov. Nikki Haley to serve as director for the South Carolina Department of Insurance on November 13, 2012.
Ito was reappointed by Gov. David Y. Ige to serve as commissioner of the Hawaii Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs – Insurance Division on January 1, 2015.
The NAIC is governed by the chief insurance regulators from the 50 states, the District of Columbia and five U.S. territories.
2018 Zone Officers Elected
NAIC members also elected 2018 zone officers.
- Katharine L. Wade — Chair, Connecticut
- Elizabeth Kelleher Dwyer — Vice Chair, Rhode Island
- Stephen C. Taylor — Secretary-Treasurer, District of Columbia
- Jim L. Ridling — Chair, Alabama
- Mike Chaney — Vice Chair, Mississippi
- Jim Donelon — Secretary-Treasurer, Louisiana
- John D. Doak — Chair, Oklahoma
- Stephen W. Robertson — Vice Chair, Indiana
- Larry Deiter — Secretary-Treasurer, South Dakota
- Dean L. Cameron — Chair, Idaho
- Todd E. Kiser — Vice Chair, Utah
- Lori K. Wing-Heier — Secretary-Treasurer, Alaska
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.