The risk management society, RIMS, announced that Laura Langone, head of Insurance Operations at Airbnb, Inc., will lead the association as president for the 2020 term.
As president, Langone is succeeding Gloria Brosius, who is director of Risk Management and Insurance for Pinnacle Agriculture Distribution in Loveland, Colorado.
Prior to Airbnb, Langone was the head of Insurance and Risk Management at PayPal and Juniper Networks. Throughout her more than 20-year career in risk management, her other positions have been with Genentech, Marsh, Oracle and the insurance defense law firm, Gordon & Rees, LLP.
Langone has been a member of RIMS for 22 years and joined its board of directors in 2016. Langone, who is based in San Francisco, held board positions with the RIMS Silicon Valley chapter, including serving as president for four years. She also volunteered on several RIMS committees and chaired the Enterprise Risk Management Committee in 2015.
“Today’s risk professional can’t afford to be complacent. While the world around us evolves, especially with the introduction of new technologies, we must be ready to embrace different perspectives, different strategies and dare ourselves to be different,” Langone said.
“Stepping outside of our comfort zone can be intimidating, but those who are ready for the challenge will find greater opportunities to strengthen their risk programs and elevate their careers,” she added.
Langone will serve with the following other officers on the RIMS 2020 board of directors:
- Vice President: Ellen R. Dunkin, Esq.; senior vice president, general counsel and chief risk officer, Amalgamated Life Insurance Co.
- Treasurer: Patrick Sterling, SPHR, SHRM-SCP; senior director, Legendary People and Risk, Texas Roadhouse.
- Secretary: Jennifer Santiago, MBA, RIMS-CRMP, ARM; assistant vice president and risk officer, Penn State University.
New board members:
- Twane Duckworth; chief of Risk Management, City of Jacksonville, Fla.
- Tina Gardiner; manager, Risk Management Services, The Regional Municipality of York (Ontario).
Incumbent board members:
- David E. Arick, ARM; assistant treasurer, Global Risk Management, International Paper Co.
- Barry Dillard; director, Risk Strategies, Insurance and Compliance, Walt Disney World Resorts.
- Gary A. Nesbit, CPCU, CSP, ARM, AIC, ALCM, SPHR; senior director of Risk Management, Young Life.
- Soubhagya Parija; senior vice president and chief risk officer, New York Power Authority.
- Kristen Peed, CPCU, RPLU, CRM, ARM-E, CIC, AAI; director of Corporate Risk Management, CBIZ, Inc.
- Robert Zhang; Business Risk & Compliance manager, INGKA China.
- Ex Officio: Gloria Brosius, RIMS-CRMP; director, Risk Management and Insurance, Pinnacle Agriculture Distributions, Inc.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.