Homeowners insured by Louisiana Citizens will be able to apply for up to $10,000 to repair or replace their roofs in October when the Louisiana Fortify Homes Program (LFHP) opens its first round of grants.
The Louisiana Department of Insurance (LDI) announced that LFHP will launch at noon on October 2 with 500 grants available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The LFHP currently has enough funding to award approximately 3,000 grants, LDI said, with the first half of those grants limited to Citizens policyholders. The remaining grants will be available to all eligible homeowners across the state.
The grant will go towards the cost of reinforcing a roof using methods that meet the FORTIFIED Roof Standard of the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety.
“The best way we can prepare for hurricanes and other severe weather is to use stronger materials and construction methods when building and repairing our homes,” said Louisiana Commissioner Jim Donelon. “Grant recipients can also take advantage of our new law requiring insurers to provide a premium discount to policyholders with FORTIFIED roofs.”
Homeowners must pay all costs beyond the amount of the grant. To be eligible for a grant, homeowners must meet certain requirements:
- Homeowners are only eligible for their primary residence and must verify they have a homestead exemption on the property during the application process.
- Homeowners must provide proof of an active residential insurance policy with wind coverage. If they live in a Special Flood Hazard Area as designated by FEMA, they must also provide proof of a flood insurance policy. Contact your agent if you are unsure whether you have these coverages.
- New construction homes, condominiums and mobile homes do not qualify.
- Homes on a foundation constructed of unrestrained stacked masonry or stone (dry-stack foundation) are not eligible without an approved retrofit of the foundation.
- Homes must be in good repair as determined by a FORTIFIED™ Evaluator. Homeowners are responsible for paying the evaluation fee, which is typically between $300 and $500.
- Grant funds are paid directly to contractors. Homeowners are financially responsible for all costs beyond the full grant amount. Grant funding is limited to construction costs.
More information about the program is available at https://www.ldi.la.gov/fortifyhomes
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.