Authorities say a woman who suffered burns in a fire at an assisted living center in Tigard has died.
According to Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue, firefighters responded to a blaze at Park Place Assisted Living Center at 4:18 a.m. Monday and were sent to a second-floor unit, where they found the 60-year-old woman.
She was taken from the building and transported to Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center. She died late Monday.
The woman’s name has not been released.
Authorities say the cause of the fire was a candle burning in the victims room. According to local media reports, the candle was lit several hours before the fire was reported and was near a chair in which the 60-year-old woman was sleeping.
Local media says the Oregon State Fire Marshal reports that there have been in Oregon 584 candle-related fires from 2004 to 2008. Those fires resulted in 14 deaths, 71 injuries to members of the public, 22 injuries to firefighters, and $16 million in property losses.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.