Oregon Woman Killed in Nursing Home Fire

December 23, 2009

Authorities say a woman who suffered burns in a fire at an assisted living center in Tigard has died.

According to Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue, firefighters responded to a blaze at Park Place Assisted Living Center at 4:18 a.m. Monday and were sent to a second-floor unit, where they found the 60-year-old woman.

She was taken from the building and transported to Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center. She died late Monday.

The woman’s name has not been released.

Authorities say the cause of the fire was a candle burning in the victims room. According to local media reports, the candle was lit several hours before the fire was reported and was near a chair in which the 60-year-old woman was sleeping.

Local media says the Oregon State Fire Marshal reports that there have been in Oregon 584 candle-related fires from 2004 to 2008. Those fires resulted in 14 deaths, 71 injuries to members of the public, 22 injuries to firefighters, and $16 million in property losses.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.