Mom Sues UC Over Son’s Overdose at UC Berkeley

February 27, 2012

The mother of a University of California, Berkeley student who suffered severe brain damage after a drug overdose on campus is suing the UC regents.

Madelyn Bennett says they knew about rampant drug use at the residence where her son overdosed, but did nothing to stop it. She filed her suit on Thursday.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that her son, John Bennett Gibson, was a 21-year-old junior when he overdosed at the Cloyne Court co-op in March 2010.

UC owns the co-op.

The suit also names the Berkeley Student Cooperative, claiming it established rules for the co-op that discouraged students from calling authorities when her son was found in distress.

The regents did not respond to requests for comment.

According to the Chronicle, lawyers for the Berkeley Student Cooperative were unavailable.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.