Medical malpractice insurers rank high when it comes to best performers in the mid-sized commercial insurance arena. Medical liability insurers placed in eight of the top 20 slots, according to SNL Financial’s performance ranking analysis of the best performing insurance companies in 2010. Only one workers’ compensation company cracked the top 20 due to lackluster underwriting results for the workers’ comp industry.
The highest-ranking company in SNL’s mid-size property/casualty insurer analysis was First Medical Insurance Co. (A RRG). First Medical finished first among the 255 qualifying entities with a focus on insuring commercial entities and had a statutory surplus of between $50.0 million and $1.0 billion at the end of 2010.
The top 20 best performing mid-sized commercial insurance companies of 2010, according to SNL were:
- First Medical Insurance Co.
- American Coastal Insurance Co.
- American Empire Surplus Lines Insurance
- North American Casualty Co.
- Toyota Motor Ins. Co.
- AMEX Assurance Co.
- Amer Excess Ins. Exchange (RRG)
- American Road Insurance Co.
- MDAdvantage Insurance Co. of NJ
- Ophthalmic Mutl Ins. Co. (A RRG)
- Pfd Physicians Med RRG Inc.
- State Volunteer Mutual Ins. Co.
- USIC Group Inc.
- HANYS Member Hospitals Self
- Courtesy Insurance Co.
- Farmers Mutl Hail Ins. Co. of IA
- AIG Glbl Trade & Political
- Medical Mutual Ins. Co. of NC
- Dryden Mutual Insurance Co.
- Yosemite Insurance Co.