Family of Girl Who Choked on Marshmallow Sues Parents Who Hosted Party

July 14, 2016

The family of an 11-year-old Massachusetts girl who died after choking on a marshmallow at a friend’s birthday party has filed a wrongful death lawsuit.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary damages in the death of Azriel Estabrooks, of Somerset, in April.

The complaint alleges that the parents who hosted the birthday party failed to provide adequate supervision for the children who attended the party. A lawyer for the hosts did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

The lawsuit says Azriel had been without oxygen for “an extended period of time” when she was found unconscious on the floor. She died several days later.

An attorney for the girl’s parents says there are many unanswered questions about the circumstances leading to her death.

Get Insurance Journal Every Day

Latest Comments

  • July 18, 2016 at 12:48 pm
    Illinois Agent says:
    See the attached incident that occurred at an Illinois school district 15 years ago. This resulted in a multi million dollar award for the family. This girl was not a toddler ... read more
  • July 18, 2016 at 11:20 am
    Agent says:
    How long have Marshmellows been around and this is the first case I have seen where someone has choked to death on one. They are very easy to chew and swallow. I guess I was... read more
  • July 18, 2016 at 10:14 am
    Robert Poudrier says:
    If there had been supervision, a 911 emergency call may have saved her life. Sorry, but I do see some liability on behalf of the adults throwing the party.
See all comments

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features