Investigators say a propane leak was the cause of a weekend explosion that leveled a house in Bridgton.
Officials say the house exploded around 1 p.m. Sunday while the homeowner was sitting outside after taking his dog for a walk. He was not hurt.
The blast, which apparently occurred in the basement, rocked the neighborhood near Long Lake, scorched the outside wall of a neighbor’s home and set fire to a detached garage. By the time firefighters arrived, the home was a burning pile of rubble.
The state Fire Marshal’s Office said Monday that a number of appliances, including the furnace, were fueled with propane. Because of extensive damage, investigators could not pinpoint which appliance or propane line was leaking or what sparked the explosion.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.