As the holiday season approaches, Maine state officials are kicking off a campaign to encourage safe driving habits.
The campaign announced Thursday in the State House focuses on seat belt usage, observing speed limits, not drinking and other behaviors.
Maine Bureau of Highway Safety Director Lauren Stewart said Maine’s made great strides reducing highway deaths, but she hopes the Survive Your Drive campaign will make the highways even safer. The campaign will be accompanied by heightened enforcement.
Last year, Maine had the lowest number of highway fatalities since 1959. But the 2008 crash rate was still above the national average.
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
A 10-Year Wait for Autonomous Vehicles to Impact Insurers, Says Fitch
California Smoke Damage Act Would Enable Wildfire Victims to Expedite Claims
Portugal Deadly Floods Force Evacuations, Collapse Main Highway
What Analysts Are Saying About the 2026 P/C Insurance Market 

