A Philadelphia jury has awarded $10 million to a 13-year-old girl after deciding that she suffered a life-threatening drug reaction a decade ago.
Attorney Eric Roberson told The Philadelphia Inquirer that Brianna Maya of Tennessee was 31/2 years old when she was given Children’s Motrin brand ibuprofen. He says she had a rare side effect, toxic epidermal necrolysis, and lost 84 percent of her skin, was blinded and suffered brain damage.
Roberson says the girl’s lung capacity is now 50 percent of normal but she has improved enough to play saxophone in her high school band.
Roberson says Fort Washington-based manufacturer McNeil Laboratories issued warnings for prescription versions but not over-the-counter versions.
McNeill says it sympathizes with the family but “strongly disagrees” with the verdict and is considering legal options.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.