Hoverboard Suspected in Fire That Damaged Two-Family Home in Massachusetts

April 14, 2020

Authorities are blaming a hoverboard malfunction for starting a fire that damaged a two-family home north of Boston.

Andover Fire Chief Michael Mansfield and State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said investigators determined the hoverboard – which had been charging on the first floor of the home – ignited the blaze Thursday afternoon.

No injuries were reported but the building suffered an estimated $325,000 worth of damage and five residents were displaced.

Hoverboard fires became a problem nationwide in 2016 after they became popular holiday gifts. The toys are powered by lithium-ion batteries that have been known to spontaneously combust.

In a statement, Mansfield cautioned owners to use only the cables supplied with the hoverboard and to take care not to overcharge the devices.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.