Jewish Sleepaway Camp Operators Sue for New York Coronavirus Closures

June 25, 2020

A group of Jewish summer camp operators has filed a lawsuit against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo for his decision to keep overnight camps closed this summer due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Association of Jewish Camp Operators and a group of parents argue that the statewide closure of overnight camps is a violation of their “constitutional rights of the free exercise of religion and the fundamental rights of parents to control the religious education and upbringing of their children,” the Times-Union reported.

Earlier this month, Health Commissioner Howard Zucker said reopening overnight camps would be too risky. The state had previously said day camps would be allowed to open with certain restrictions.

In the complaint, overnight camp operators contended that they intended to reopen with strict safety measures in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.