Conn. Offers Coverage Guidance Due to Power Outages After Tropical Storm Isaias

August 25, 2020

In the aftermath of Tropical Storm Isaias, Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont and Insurance Commissioner Andrew N. Mais are reminding policyholders to review their homeowners insurance policies to understand their coverage for property damage due to loss of power as the state is at the height of the 2020 Atlantic Tropical Storm season.

The Atlantic Tropical Storm season began on June 1 and runs through November 30.

“Storm Isaias left nearly a million customers without power,” Lamont said in a press release issued by the Connecticut Insurance Department. “Many families and businesses experienced property damage, loss of work wages and other losses like spoiled groceries due to the mass power outage. This is already a very difficult year, and the Insurance Department is working to help with filing storm-related claims and answering your questions.”

Although most policies vary to some degree, there is common coverage for certain types of damage due to power outages.

“It is important to review your policies yearly with your insurance agent or broker to understand what is covered and what the limits are,” Mais said in the release. “Keep your policies and insurance contact information in a safe place should your property be damaged and you must make a claim.”

Food spoilage due to a power outage is generally not covered under a basic homeowners, renters or condominium policy. However, some insurance companies do provide limited coverage in the policy, according to the release.

Being forced out of a home due only to a loss of power is not normally covered under a standard homeowners, renters, or condominium policy. However, if a covered loss makes the home uninhabitable, coverage for any necessary increase in living expenses incurred is generally provided up to a certain limit, the release added.

If water pipes in the home were to burst in the winter months due to lack of heat from a power outage, however, damage to covered property would be covered by a homeowners, renters or condominium policy. Homeowners, condo, and renters insurance cover property for most types of damage including tornado, hurricanes, severe storms, rain, wind and fires, the release said.

Source: Connecticut Insurance Department

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.