Vermont Governor Phil Scott has submitted a formal request to President Donald J. Trump for a major disaster declaration to help communities in Caledonia and Essex counties recover costs for repairing public infrastructure damage caused by rainfall and severe flooding on July 10, 2025.
Federal assessors identified more than $1.8 million in statewide damages, exceeding the $1.2 million minimum threshold for a public assistance disaster declaration.
According to the state, the severe rainstorm on July 10 washed out roads and caused more than $1 million in damage in the town of Sutton alone, as well as significant damage in surrounding communities.
A federal major disaster declaration unlocks Federal Emergency Management (FEMA) funding to reimburse eligible municipalities for 75% of costs including for debris removal, road repairs, public building repairs, and staff overtime responding to and cleaning up after the storm.
“The damage from last month’s storm impacted small towns with limited financial resources,” said Scott. “Submitting this request is an important step in the process to bring FEMA funds to Vermont to help towns rebuild and recover.”
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Should Parents Be Responsible for Kids Getting Hurt and Killed on E-Bikes?
One Battle After Another: What TPLF Victory in One State Means for Others
Death of Irish Teens in Crash Prompts Social Media Warning
Tornado Alley’s on the Move and Creating New Risk Concerns, Modeler Says 

