The U.S. Department of the Treasury appointed 15 individuals to serve as members of the Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance.
The committee will provide advice to Treasury’s Federal Insurance Office (FIO), which was established as part of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
“These individuals have tremendous knowledge about the insurance industry and a wide cross-section of experience,” said Michael McRaith, director of the FIO.
The FIO monitors all aspects of the insurance industry, including identifying issues that could contribute to systemic risk in the insurance industry or the U.S. financial system. It also assesses the availability and affordability of insurance to traditionally underserved populations; advises the Secretary of the Treasury on major domestic insurance policy issues; and develops and coordinates federal policy on international insurance regulatory matters.
Nearly half of the committee is comprised of state insurance regulators. The remaining members will bring a diverse set of perspectives on the insurance industry, with backgrounds ranging from consumer advocacy and academia to the business of insurance lines, Treasury stated in a release.
The 15 individuals appointed tothe Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance include:
- David Birnbaum, economist and executive director, Center for Economic Justice
- Michael Consedine, commissioner, Commonwealth of the Pennsylvania Department of Insurance
- Jacqueline Cunningham, commissioner, State of Virginia Bureau of Insurance
- John Degnan, senior advisor to the CEO of the Chubb Corp.
- Brian Duperreault, president and CEO, Marsh & McLennan Cos.
- Loretta Fuller, CEO, Insurance Solutions Associates
- Scott E. Harrington, Alan B. Miller professor in the health care management and insurance and risk management departments at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- Benjamin Lawsky, superintendent of financial Services, State of New York
- Thomas Leonardi, commissioner of the Connecticut Department of Insurance
- Monica Lindeen, commissioner, State of Montana Securities and Insurance and State Auditor
- Christopher Mansfield, senior vice president and general counsel, Liberty Mutual Group
- Sean McGovern, director and general counsel, Lloyd’s North America
- Theresa Miller, administrator, State of Oregon Insurance Division
- Michael E. Sproule, executive vice president and chief financial officer, New York Life Insurance Co.
- Bill White, commissioner, District of Columbia Department of Insurance
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.