Specialist insurer Beazley has launched a comprehensive policy designed to cover infringements of Title IX, the federal law prohibiting discrimination based on sex in any public education program.
The policy provides coverage for employment practices liability (EPL) and sexual misconduct & molestation liability (SML) for educational institutions in the U.S. that receive federal funding.
Lawsuits brought by students against educational institutions have evolved since the Title IX federal law was first passed. Along with uncertainties and fluctuations in the enforcement environment, Title IX complaints have become more complex and difficult to manage.
Beazley has been underwriting EPL and SML for more than 20 years, with experience of the risks faced by educational institutions.
EPL and SML coverage under the policy includes:
- Loss resulting from any employment practices claim
- Sub-limited defense costs resulting from any wage and hour claim
- Sub-limited employment event loss
- Sub-limited defense costs resulting from any immigration practices claim
- Sub-limited Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) defense costs resulting from any OSHA citation
- Loss resulting from any sexual misconduct and molestation claim
- Safeguarding costs resulting from any sexual misconduct and molestation circumstance.
Employee on employee sexual molestation coverage can also be considered.
The cover provides EPL and SML limits of up to $10m.
Beazley plc (BEZ.L) is the parent company of specialist insurance businesses with operations in Europe, United States, Canada, Latin America and Asia.
Beazley’s underwriters in the United States write a range of specialist insurance products, which include professional indemnity, cyber, property, marine, reinsurance, accident and life, and political risks and contingency business.. In the admitted market, coverage is provided by Beazley Insurance Company, Inc., an A.M. Best A rated carrier licensed in all 50 states. In the surplus lines market, coverage is provided by the Beazley syndicates at Lloyd’s.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.