A North Carolina county recovering from a cyberattack says hackers failed in a second attempt to infiltrate their computer system.
Mecklenburg County officials say foreign hackers redoubled their efforts after the county refused to pay a ransom last week. But county officials released a statement Friday saying the second attack was unsuccessful.
The first wave of ransomware hit county computers when an employee opened a fraudulent email early last week. Dozens of county servers were frozen by the hackers, requiring technology workers to embark on days of repairs. It also forced the county to do much of its business on paper.
County officials said Friday afternoon that the restoration is progressing. But at least some web-based searches still weren’t working, including ones for jail inmate records and property data.
Topics Cyber North Carolina
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
AIG’s Zaffino: Outcomes From AI Use Went From ‘Aspirational’ to ‘Beyond Expectations’
Florida Engineers: Winds Under 110 mph Simply Do Not Damage Concrete Tiles
Nine-Month 2025 Results Show P/C Underwriting Gain Skyrocketed
‘Structural Shift’ Occurring in California Surplus Lines 

