Insurance companies owned by a big-money donor accused of trying to bribe North Carolina’s top insurance regulator for easy treatment are on the sales block and under review by at least one rating agency.
Entrepreneur Greg Lindberg was indicted earlier this month in what federal prosecutors said was a plot to bribe state insurance commissioner Mike Causey. Days later, Lindberg-owned Global Bankers Insurance Group said it is pursuing buyers for its U.S. life insurance companies. A Global Bankers spokesman said the company had no comment Thursday.
Global rating agency AM Best said April 10 it is reviewing two insurers under the Global Bankers umbrella. AM Best said it’s reviewing “with negative implications” the financial strength ratings of Colorado Bankers Life Insurance Co. and Bankers Life Insurance Co., both based in Durham.
- Focus Turns to Insurance Investor’s North Carolina Political Donations After Indictment
- Former N.C. Insurance Chief Goodwin Denies Aiding Indicted Political Donor
- 4 Indicted in North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Bribery Scheme
- North Carolina Insurance Head Sends Controversial Campaign Contribution to FBI
- Subpoena Issued to North Carolina Insurance Department Over Private Political Donor
- Feds Subpoena More Documents About Donor from North Carolina Insurance Dept.
- Secret Buyer of Beechwood Assets Unveiled as Global Bankers Insurance Group
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.