California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara announced the newest members of the California Department of Insurance’s Curriculum Board and the California Insurance Guarantee Association’s Board of Governors.
The Curriculum Board oversees the development of pre-licensing and continuing education curriculum for agents and brokers, which includes a list of preapproved courses of study as well as courses of study for professional designations. The board also develops standards for providers and instructors who provide courses and other training to licensed agents and brokers.
The CIGA board of governors oversees the association’s general operations and management in order to protect policyholders and honor claims in the event an insurance company becomes insolvent. CIGA comprises all insurance companies licensed to sell homeowners, workers’ compensation, and auto insurance, among other lines, in California.
The next curriculum board meeting will be held on July 16, and the next CIGA board of governors meeting will be held on Aug. 5.
Appointed members of the Curriculum Board include:
- Monique Howard, assistant vice president Allied World Insurance Co. Howard has 12 years of experience in underwriting property/casualty commercial liability and inland marine/ocean marine risks. Howard joins the board as an insurance company representative with a term ending on June 17, 2023.
- Neil Granger, owner of Neil Granger Insurance and Annuity Consulting. Granger is an educational training specialist in the area of elder financial abuse. Granger rejoins the board as a life agent representative with a term ending on May 25, 2025.
- Sandra Watts, roadmap to recovery project coordinator at United Policyholders. Watts is an insurance claims educator and a licensed public adjuster. Watts joins the board as a consumer group representative with a term ending on June 17, 2023.
- Steve Hinds, owner of a property/casualty insurance agency affiliated with Nationwide Insurance Co. Hinds has more than 30 years of experience in the insurance industry, including underwriting, sales, and training. Hinds joins the board as an agent/broker representative with a term ending on June 17, 2023.
Appointed members of the CIGA board of governors include:
- Amy Juknelis, pricing director and senior actuary at Allstate Insurance Co. Juknelis is also a credentialed fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society. Juknelis rejoins the board as a member insurer representative with a term ending on Dec. 31, 2022.
- Peter Guastamachio, chief investment officer and treasurer for the State Compensation Insurance Fund. Guastamachio has 40 years of experience in finance. Guastamachio rejoins the board as a member insurer representative with a term ending on Dec. 31, 2022.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.