The New York Insurance Association (NYIA) announced that Steven J. Coffey, president and chief executive officer of Broome Co-operative Insurance Company (BCIC), has been elected to serve as the association’s chair for 2016.
Coffey has been on the NYIA board of directors since 2011. He has served as an officer of the association since 2012, most recently as first vice chair.
Coffey has held the position of president and CEO of BCIC, a regional property/casualty insurer located in Vestal, New York, since 2008. Coffey has more than 35 years of experience in the insurance industry. He previously served in senior management positions at Guy Carpenter, The Hartford and Aon, and was president and CEO of Surety Reinsurance Company. He is the past chairman of the New York Insurance Alliance. In addition to being on NYIA’s board of directors, he also served on a number of association committees.
NYIA also elected the following officers for a one-year term ending Dec. 31, 2016:
- First vice chair: Elizabeth Heck, president and CEO, Greater New York Mutual Insurance Company, New York, New York
- Second vice chair: Mark Prechtl, executive vice president/CEO, Chautauqua Patrons Insurance Company, Jamestown, New York
- Treasurer: Norman Orlowski, Jr., president/CEO, Erie and Niagara Insurance Association, Williamsville, New York
In addition, the following directors were elected for a three-year term ending Dec. 31, 2018:
- Elizabeth Heck, president and CEO, Greater New York Mutual Insurance Company, New York, New York
- Craig MacCormac, vice president, Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection & Insurance Company, Hartford, Connecticut
- Raymond Waugh, associate vice president, business operation leader, Nationwide Insurance, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Matthew Benedict, president, Midstate Mutual Insurance Company, Auburn, New York
The New York Insurance Association is a state trade association that has represented the property/casualty insurance industry for more than 130 years.