The Florida Association of Insurance Reform has asked Gov. Rick Scott and his Cabinet, which consists of Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, State Attorney General Pam Bondi, and State Agricultural Commissioner Adam Putnam, to allow for input on the search for the next Florida Insurance Commissioner.
Florida Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty announced Jan. 5 that he would step down from his position after 12 years in office.
“Florida Insurance Commissioner Kevin M. McCarty’s resignation presents an opportunity for Floridians to weigh in on the replacement process for this critical position. Since the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation was created in 2003, McCarty has served as its only appointed Insurance Commissioner,” FAIR said in a statement.
More specifically, FAIR asked that a national search firm be hired to conduct a nationwide search, saying the Florida Cabinet should allow for input and review by stakeholders, especially consumers. FAIR also asked the search process be conducted in an open and transparent manner while “cautiously monitoring the participation of all local stakeholders to avoid any accusation of politicizing the process.”
“FAIR believes that working together is the best way to solve even the most contentious issues in the Florida property insurance market, the most competitive market in the nation,” FAIR said in a statement.
FAIR President and CEO, Jay Neal, said the Florida private property insurance market has significantly improved since the current cabinet took office. FAIR honored McCarty with a Lifetime Achievement Award in acknowledgement of his work in the Florida insurance market.
“This critically important appointment needs industry knowledge, experience and balanced leadership abilities to continue the course,” Neal said.
FAIR is a non-profit educational organization that works to educate Florida consumers and insurance industry stake-holders about the effects of insurance public policy.
- Florida Insurance Commissioner McCarty to Resign After 12 Years in Job
- McCarty Replacement Rumors Start Swirling, Successor has ‘Huge Shoes to Fill’
- Industry Reacts to McCarty Resignation, Contemplates His Next Move
- McCarty Earns Lifetime Achievement Award from Florida Association
- Florida Commissioner McCarty Touts State Regulation Before Congress
- Florida Insurance Commissioner McCarty’s Reappointment in Doubt
- McCarty Deserves Some Credit for Stabilizing Florida Market
- Consumer Group Urges Florida to Keep McCarty as Commissioner
- Florida Commissioner McCarty May Have Survived Scott’s Ouster Bid
- Flood, Fraud & the Florida Market: McCarty Talks Hot Insurance Topics in 2015
- McCarty Receives ‘Insurance Man of the Year’ Award from LAAIA
- Florida Commissioner McCarty Asks FEMA for NFIP Rate Data by Dec. 15