This issue of Insurance Journal features exclusive results from the 2021 Young Agents Survey where nearly 300 young agents nationwide shared their views on the insurance industry and their experience as an agent. (see page 30 for the full report).
This special report also features the professional stories of six successful young agents and young agency owners. They share their own journey into the insurance world, how they overcame challenges from the pandemic, and offer a few tips on what it takes to make it as an independent agent.
Also, don’t miss The Jacobson’s Group’s Tony Canas column on how to engage and develop the younger generation of insurance professionals. (see page 38)
This year’s Young Agent Survey revealed a renewed sense of optimism. Most young agents are happy with their career choice and the insurance industry. And year after year young agents cite the freedom and challenges that come with the job of an independent agent as perks of the job. However, there are some things young agents would change about the insurance industry, or their career, if given the chance.
Here are the top 10 things that young agents responding to the survey value most in their current workplace. What do you offer your young agents?
- Compensation and flexibility for my family life.
- Having a great support staff and a good compensation package.
- Flexibility, listening to ideas, and compensation.
- A manager that allows staff who are good at their jobs to work without micro-management.
- Camaraderie, support, on-the-job training with a mentor.
- Honesty, respect, and appreciation. I do not stay in work environments that do not have these things.
- The ability to work at home because it helps your mental health.
- Flexibility, open door policy from leadership, a fun environment with work-life balance.
- Teamwork and communication.
- Empathy, understanding and compassion.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.