- More than 20,300 communities have flood maps as a basis for flood insurance rates, insurance purchase requirements and local floodplain management programs.
- An estimated 9,000 square miles of the nation’s most flood-prone lands are protected from future development because they are designated as floodways, allowing for floodwaters to pass unhindered.
- At least 6,000 acres of previously developed floodplain land have been returned to open space.
- A significant majority of buildings now being constructed in floodplains are built according to NFIP standards.
- With 33 consecutive months of policy growth, there are now more than 5.4 million people with flood insurance protection.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
California OKs Farmers and Zesty.ai Wildfire Risk Assessments, Will Bring 30K New Homeowners Policies