An Epsom, N.H. couple is suing Shop & Stop, saying their 8-year-old son was infected and nearly killed by E.coli bacteria in meat bought at the one of the company’s Manchester stores.
Eric Tsirovakas got sick from a hamburger last September, according to a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Concord. He spent nearly three weeks in the hospital, receiving dialysis treatments after his kidneys shut down. Doctors diagnosed him with a condition that developed from the E. coli infection.
Doctors will have to monitor him for high blood pressure and kidney failure for the rest of his life, according to the lawsuit.
John and Christina Tsirovakas seek compensation for more than $100,000 in medical bills, economic losses and pain and suffering for their son.
Stop & Shop said it will fight the lawsuit.
“We do not believe that the meat was contaminated with E. coli at Stop & Shop and we will vigorously defend that position in court,” said spokeswoman Faith Weiner.
The company said it follows all food safety regulations and recommends customers “follow safe cooking procedures and cook all meat fully before serving and eating.”
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.