Insurer Sues Apple Over Connecticut House Fire

By | December 2, 2010

Great Northern Insurance is suing electronics firm Apple, claiming that a faulty laptop charger for one of its computers triggered a massive house fire in Central Connecticut.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Hartford last month, stems from a May 2008 fire in Glastonbury at the home of Eric and Penelope Marziali.

Their year-old laptop had been plugged in to an outlet in a bedroom, overheated and caught fire during the night, according to the court documents filed by the insurer.

Lawyers for Great Northern — a subsidiary of Chubb — claim that the electronics-maker has known about the potential for some of its computers’ power adapters to overheat and cause fire, and that similar complaints were also posted on the company’s online store and website.

The product liability suit against Apple alleges, among other things, that the manufacturer was negligent in making the defective adapter and that the company failed to provide proper warnings for the product.

The insurer said it paid more than $75,000 to settle the Marzialis’ claim and it is seeking at least that amount in the lawsuit.

Insurer Sues Apple over Product Liability

Topics Lawsuits Carriers Connecticut

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.