Building records show that a Bronx row house where a fire killed a 12-year-old boy and his parents had been illegally subdivided.
Other complaints listed by the Buildings Departments at the Prospect Avenue private dwelling included faulty wiring and insufficient exits.
The fire was reported at 3:30 a.m. Monday and was brought under control about one hour later.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
Consolidated Edison said it cut off power to the building about two weeks ago because it had no record that anyone lived there.
Neighbors said they saw jury-rigged wiring at the house.
Inspectors had been unable to gain access to the building on numerous occasions.
Topics New York
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Zurich Insurance Profit Beats Estimates as CEO Eyes Beazley
Insurify Starts App With ChatGPT to Allow Consumers to Shop for Insurance
Preparing for an AI Native Future
Jury Finds Johnson & Johnson Liable for Cancer in Latest Talc Trial 

