Fire Pit Fuel Pulled After New York Explosions

June 13, 2011

A jellylike fuel made for ceramic firepots has been yanked from store shelves after a pair of explosions severely injured three people in New York.

A 14-year-old Long Island boy nearly burned to death after a bottle of FireGel exploded in his backyard on May 28. Michael Hubbard, of Riverhead, is still hospitalized in grave condition.

On June 3, a New York City man nearly died and a friend was burned after a similar explosion.

Both accidents happened while people were trying to add fuel to pots that were already lit.

Gel manufacturer Napa Home & Garden asked retailer Bed Bath & Beyond to pull the products after inquiries from The New York Times.

The company says it plans to add new warning labels highlighting the danger if someone tries to refill pots that are hot

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.