Hurricane Sandy Victims Reach First Set of FEMA Insurance Settlements

By | March 3, 2015

Federal disaster assistance officials have begun reaching settlements with more than 1,000 Hurricane Sandy victims who allege they were unfairly denied flood insurance claims or paid too little for them.

Lawyers for property owners told federal magistrate judges overseeing lawsuits in Brooklyn and Central Islip in New York in a filing Monday that settlements have already been reached in 160 cases. The accords are the first wave of hundreds more expected after some homeowners complained that companies that help provide flood insurance rejected claims based on fraudulently manipulated engineering reports of storm damage.

An official from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which ultimately pays flood claims, said last month that the agency would work with insurers to negotiate accords in all outstanding cases. A process is also in the works to provide funds to homeowners who disputed insurance payments without suing, said J. Steve Mostyn, a lawyer for some homeowners.

A three-judge panel overseeing the Hurricane Sandy cases “has worked extremely hard on this and I want to be sure they approve what we are doing in all aspects,” Mostyn said. The “framework” for the settlements will later be presented for their review.

Related Articles:

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.